Sardinia Lovers - sardinia@sardinialovers.com Tel. +39 070 8943272/ 070 8940124

Barumini

Located in the historical Marmilla region, Barumini is a town in the Mid Campidano area of Sardinia and has a little more than a thousand inhabitants. Symbol par excellence of Barumini is Su Nuraxi, the nuragic village and largest in the world. Built in different historical periods of which the oldest dates back to the sixteenth century BC, and brought to light at the end of the 1950’s. It is a megalithic monument constructed with basalts blocks that UNESCO, in 2000, entitled it a World Heritage Site because of its great historical and archaeological interest. Originally, the nuraghe was made up of a central tower and three rooms using the basalt blocks.


During the Bronze Age four towers were added within the fortressed walls and an upper gallery which is now gone. Also during this period, around the nuraghe a village of fifty circular huts were constructed to house the population. The complex, which opened onto an inner courtyard served by a well, was enriched by an additional fortress wall during the Iron Age. Over time, some parts of the nuragic complex were destroyed and then restored in the Carthaginian era. The last inhabitants were the Romans, before the structure was finally abandoned in the first century BC.

Su Nuraxi - Barumini

Su Nuraxi,a megalithic monument constructed with basalts blocks that UNESCO, in 2000, entitled it a World Heritage Site because of its great historical and archaeological interest.